Thursday, October 28, 2010

Bacon Onion Cheddar Biscuits

It's funny how 12 muffins just disappear into my mouth under my nose so quickly. In this case they disappeared particularly quickly.

I've always preferred savoury food over sweet ones and this time is no different. This recipe was shared with me by Cherlyn, and it is awesome!

I did make a few adjustments though. Instead of shortening, I used butter, and instead of 'cutting' it into the flour I rubbed it in by hand. Also I made two batches of these, and I found that if you bake it at 350 F for 25 minutes instead of 375 F for 20 minutes, you get a more muffin-y texture. Depends on whether you prefer it to be harder or softer really. I prefer the latter but I do understand that these are supposed to be biscuits not muffins.
These were the first batch, they were not as golden.

After I wolfed down 2382938298 6 3 2 I felt so guilty that I ran to the gym. Nah, I'm lying. I took a nap and dreamt that I went to the gym.

This recipe can be found on The Pioneer Woman's website *link*. She gives good step-by-step photos on her website so if you are a noob like me you should definitely check it out =)

Ingredients

  • 2 cups All-purpose Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
  • ¾ teaspoons Salt
  • ¼ cups Vegetable Shortening (I used butter because I didn't have any)
  • 10 Tablespoons Milk
  • 4 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
  • 1 whole Egg
  • 10 slices Thick Cut Bacon, Fried And Crumbled
  • 1 cup Finely Diced Onion
  • 1 cup Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese

Preparation Instructions

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry cutter, cut in shortening until all combined.

Combine milk, oil, and egg in a separate bowl. Whisk together.

Combine flour mixture, milk mixture, bacon, onions, and cheddar cheese in a large bowl. Stir gently until all combined.

Spoon batter into greased muffin tins. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes on 375 degrees until golden Remove from pan and serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment