Sunday, March 27, 2011

Mojito Cupcakes

The other day I was just innocently surfing the internet, you know like all university students do when they should be completing their assignments, when all of a sudden, I bumped into this.

Wait. WHAT?? Alcohol. In my cupcakes?! Put it in me NAO!!! I love this bit where you rub the lime zest into the sugar. It's so fragrant!

Oh and I also 'accidentally' added a bit more rum in the batter =PIcing time! Also known as 'time to hide the ugly bits'! Eating on the (photography) job. I couldn't help it, they looked delicious =X Okay, one last picture of these beautiful, alcohol-flavoured cupcakes, I promise =P

These cupcakes take alcoholism to a whole new level. They really do taste like mojitos in a cupcake! But with significantly less alcohol of course =P John and I enjoyed these babies along with two tall refreshing glasses of mojitos. Mmmmmm....


Here is the recipe from 6bittersweets and I have added what I changed in brackets at the side.


  • 1 cup milk or soymilk (I used milk)

  • 1/2 C fresh mint, roughly chopped and bruised

  • Zest and juice of 1 lime

  • 2 tsp dark rum (I used 3tsp of Malibu)

  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

  • 2 Tbsp cornstarch (Skipped this part)

  • 3/4 tsp baking powder

  • 1/2 tsp baking soda

  • 1/2 tsp salt

  • 1/3 cup canola oil

  • 3/4 cup sugar

  • Limes OR fresh mint leaves to garnish


  1. Combine milk and mint leaves in a small pot over medium heat until hot but NOT BOILING. Remove from heat and let steep for 10 to 15 minutes. Pass the milk through a strainer to remove mint leaves, but press on the leaves to extract as much flavor as possible. Set aside to cool.

  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a regular 12-cup muffin pan with baking liners. Whisk the mint-infused milk and lime juice in a measuring cup and set aside for a few minutes to get good and curdled.

  3. In large bowl, combine the sugar and lime zest and rub thoroughly to infuse the sugar with lime flavor. Add the milk mixture, oil, and rum, if using, and beat thoroughly. Sift in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and mix until no large lumps remain small ones are okay.

  4. Fill cupcake liners two-thirds of the way and bake for 20 to 22 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack, and let cool completely.

  5. Pipe or spread frosting on cupcakes and garnish with lime slices

Lime Rum Cream Cheese Frosting


  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter

  • 8 ounces cream cheese (That's about 225g)

  • Pinch of salt

  • 2 tsp dark rum (Again I used Malibu, about 4 tsp)

  • 1 Tbsp lime juice (I used juice from 1 lime)

  • 1 1/2 to 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted (Opted for 2 cups)

  • 1 to 2 drops green food coloring, optional (2 drops, roughly)


  1. Cream the butter, sugar, and salt together just until fully combined and smooth. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure even mixing.

  2. Add the cold cream cheese a chunk at a time, waiting until each is incorporated before adding the next.

  3. Add the rum and lime juice and mix just until incorporated. Taste the frosting, adding more sugar if needed.

  4. Add the food coloring, if using, one drop at a time and combining thoroughly after each, until you have the color you want.

The original recipe can be found at 6bittersweets

16 comments:

  1. Those are awesome! I am definitely going to try and make them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great, I have to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh nice I love mojitos, i think I might give these a shot :P

    just wondering, in step 2, did you mean the lime juice and not vinegar (I didn't see vinegar in the ingredient list)

    These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey im dying to try these cupcakes but i too had a question about the vinegar. how much are you using if any! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elephantshoelife, They are! You definitely should =)

    Guapizimo, Thanks! =)

    Chris Chang, Aren't Mojitos the best =) Oh thanks for pointing that out! The original recipe said vinegar.. but I put the lime juice in the milk because that made more sense (no vinegar in the ingredient list) =/ Will make the corrections now =) Thank you!

    Anon, I've made the corrections, it's lime juice! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking Mojito Cupcakes! Hubby loves Mojitos and Cupcakes so Im sure he would love these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found your mojito cupcake recipe AND "Sharin The Ninja" was too intriguing to pass up! I've just started a blog and must say that I feel that I am not worthy of your work - I will persevere though!

    Can't wait to try it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello my fellow ninja! Thanks but I am just a beginner as well! Your blog is interesting! Keep going! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These looks amazing. I love mojito scones, but I may have to venture into cupcakes now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Malibu isn't dark rum, it's coconut rum. And pretty sure it's clear or white, but otherwise sounds delish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey smarty pants, she clearly stated that she changed the recipe and used Malibu. But thanks for trying to correct someone on alcohol characteristics.

      Delete
  11. Yeap, didn't have any on me so I used Malibu instead, all good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are there no eggs in the recipe, or did I miss something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same question..odd that there are no eggs

      Delete
  13. Ok so you leave the lime zest with the sugar or take it out?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made these last night but they seem heavy the center bowed in a bit and seemed really crystaly on top? The one I tried tasted good but not much lime or mint? Or maybe very sutle. Please advise. i followed to a T!

    ReplyDelete