Sunday, May 22, 2011

Food Review: Pier 24, Dunedin

I feel pampered. On Friday my boyfriend picked me up from work, there was a bouquet of roses waiting for me at home, and then he brought me to this flash glass restaurant by the beach. Tell me I'm not pampered =P



Pier 24 is a fine-dining restaurant located right beside St Clair beach. I've been eyeing it for a while as my friends have told me that it is amazing but only recently got around to eating there. The layout of the place is beautiful and the staff are so friendly. I also love how beautifully presented each dish came out.
For our starters, I had the Crisp Slow Cooked Pork Belly with a fennel and cucumber salad, pickled fig and a balsamic relish. This was sooooo goooddddd. A little bit too salty for my liking, however it was balanced by the cool, refreshing cucumber. The pork belly was cooked well, not overly fatty and with a nice crispy skin. Mmmmm.. I was hoping it would never end... (But then I'd become obese!) The perfect starter as it opens your appetite for the mains to come.
John had the Pan Fried Flaked fish with potato cake, seared Atlantic Scallops, Crushed Cherry Tomato, Chilli and Mint Salad with a Red Wine Vinegar Dressing and Lemon Horseradish Aioli. He said that the scallops were a little rubbery but sauce and pairings were very well flavoured.
For mains I had the Pan Roasted Lamb Loin with chocolate nib and fennel rub, orange candied parsnip, rosemary roasted potatoes, marmalade and 85% bitter chocolate glaze. Wow. The meat was cooked to perfection! Slightly pink, juicy and tender.. So so good! I didn't like the parsnip though as it had burnt bits which left a bitter taste in my mouth.



John had the steak, and I didn't manage to take a pic (we were too busy eating) but he said it was one of the best steaks he has had in Dunedin (along with 1908 Cafe in Portobello)!
See my happy, pampered face =P


Pier 24 is slightly more expensive compared to other restaurants in Dunedin but for the ambiance, location, good food and staff, in my opinion it's quite worth it! =)

2 comments:

  1. Omg I is so jealous gir!! Looks like you're having an amazing time with that amazing bf of yours! *waves hi to John* Miss you much!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha what jealous you just went on a holiday to Phuket with Ray lol =) Miss you too sososososo much!

    ReplyDelete