Sunday, September 19, 2010

Salmon Fishcakes

This was our weekend brunch! =) I found the recipe on Nigella's website . I left the kitchen in a horrible mess, and it did not turn out as well as I had expected. They were a bit too crumbly when I was making the patties. They were still delicious though! For some reason I just can't quite pull off her recipes, as I have tried a few times. Apparently, to make it stick together I should only use egg yolks (Some cooking wisdom from John). I will definitely do that the next time I make Salmon fishcakes. If it still fails, I will try another recipe =P Below is the recipe from her website.


INGREDIENTS


  • 350-500g cold mashed potato
  • 418g tinned salmon, preferably organic
  • 15g unsalted butter, melted (if the mashed potato hasn't got any butter in it)
  • Fat pinch cayenne pepper grated
  • Zest of 1/2 lemon
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 egg

FOR COATING AND FRYING

  • 2 eggs
  • 100g matzo meal, preferably medium
  • 50g unsalted butter
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil

    METHOD
  • In a large bowl, and preferably with your hands, mix together all the fishcake ingredients.
  • Cover a baking sheet with clingfilm, plunge your hands back into the mixture and form fat, palm-sized patties. Place these on the baking sheet and stand in the fridge to firm up for about 20 minutes to an hour - or considerably longer if that helps.
  • Beat the eggs in a shallow soup bowl and sprinkle the matzo meal onto a dinner plate.
  • One by one, dip the fishcakes into the beaten egg and then into the matzo meal, sprinkling and dredging over as you go to help coat them.
  • When you're all done, put the butter and oil in a large frying pan, heat till it begins to fizzle and then fry the fishcakes on each side until the crusts are golden, and speckled brown in parts, and the soothing centres are warmed through.
    Recipe posted by Nigella

No comments:

Post a Comment